Hurricane Harvey is having an unprecedented impact. According to the New York Times, officials can’t even begin to estimate how many people left their homes, how many need evacuation, how many are missing, or even how much damage there is. What we do know is that recovery for the region will take years.
If you are looking for ways to help, we have compiled a list of organizations working in the region. Please investigate the organizations for yourself before deciding to donate. Also, please remember that years of recovery will require years of funding. You may want to consider making a small recurring gift to relief work. Finally, please be sure to talk to your legislators about supporting survivors and finding ways to address the many impacts of climate change.
- The Austin Disaster Relief Network pledges to meet immediate needs and to work long-term to rebuild in Texas.
- The Texas Diaper Bank provides diapers and other items to families in Texas.
- NPR has a list of organizations here.
- CNN’s “Impact Your World” has vetted several organizations for donations.
- The SPCA of Texas is taking many animals affected by the storm.